Thursday, March 01, 2007

my day (rough estimates on the timing)-

10:00- I arrive in the office, and find my boss in a cheery mood. he tells me that he's been up all night.
10:30- Boss, who sits at the cubicle next to me, shares the information that he got completely hammered last night and left his coat and ipod at a bar.
11:00- as I try to make a list of all fifty states in ten minutes on a website linked from gawker, he starts peering over my shoulder and shouting random guesses.
11:30-our department has some sort of a disagreement with another department about a poster or something, and he tells me and dandan to go "rough them up."
12:00- as he makes the transition from drunk to hungover, Boss becomes increasingly quiet.
12:30- lunch! Boss slumps on the couch and talks about how nauseous the food makes him.
1:00- back in the office. now Boss's eyes are bloodshot and if we ask him a question he just looks at us sadly. the next hour and a half passes in silence.
2:30- Boss, apparently having had enough of the day, says he is leaving early. I try to comfort him, "You're only young once, eh?" He sneers at me (because he's about 35), and shuffles off.

i haven't really had an office job before, so I can't say for a fact that this is one of those "only in china" occurrences. it seems a bit out of the ordinary though. maybe it's because he's british; they seem to work drinking into the average work day in a way that americans can't quite measure up to. it was nice to have a very merry atmosphere in the office while he was still drunk, but then when he left i had to do the work he was supposed to do for the day. so all in all, i hope it doesn't happen again.
also, i've learned that chinese people say that korean men's bodies are too "short-legged," apparently because they sit on the floor instead of in chairs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home