Sunday, February 03, 2008

i've had a couple of entries rolling around my head lately, and i've been meaning to get down to actually typing them up. i feel like my life has been a little more out of control than normal. or this week anyway, culminating in me falling on my face, giving myself a big black eye and a swollen lip. it does look pretty cool and hardcore now that the swelling's gone down a bit, but when i first got a good look at it, i almost passed out (i'm also really bad with blood). anyway i've vowed to calm things down, at least until my face heals.
soooo... oh yeah i remember, i was going to write about getting into gay culture stuff, ie books, movies, music. i try to stagger my gay entries for the benefit of my remaining breeder readers, but whatever. it's my space. not myspace. so yeah. because, for instance, i'm really into tegan and sara right now. and musically, i don't think they're so much better than other bands that are out there right now. i mean, they're pretty much on par with the other good hipsterish bands. but, like harvey fierstein had this great quote in "the celluloid closet," which i totally dvred from logo, where he talks about how when you watch straight movies, you have to do this kind of translation in your mind, to apply the way the characters feel to the way you feel. and he said with his work, straight people would say to him, oh, but your work is universal, everyone can relate to it. and he said, fuck you, i've been having to do this translation thing my whole life. my work is gay. and there really is this very different relationship you have with artists and works that are queer, because you know that no translation is necessary. you're feeling the exact same thing that they feel. also, i take it back, tegan and sara are amazing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Raronauer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home