Friday, August 18, 2006

now that we are in the post-production period at work, there is literally nothing for me to do. all of the other interns are gone. i only have two days left though, so i guess i shouldn't complain. but i got to work at about 10:15 today (i think it's okay if i come in a little late since they never have any jobs for me), and now it's almost one, and i've spent the whole time looking for a restaurant to have lunch at.
as i'm nearing my departure for china, i feel the pressure rising to enjoy the last great new york food i'll have for a while. for me, as i am no huge fan of fancy cuisine, this means hot dogs, pizza, bagels, and pickles. unfortunately, these are the foods i love the most in the world, so i don't know if eating a lot of them before i leave will help, or will only further increase my appetite for them. so far it's not helping that much. i ate four hot dogs on one recent historic day, and still found myself craving them the next day.
i think to resolve this, i'm going to have to hark back to the only time i was ever successful in quenching my desire for a type of food. this was the infamous sushi eating competition among myself and my friends smita, annelise, heather, mae and niamh. in honor of someone's birthday or something, we went out to a great japanese restaurant with an awesome all-you-can-eat deal. because the restaurant assigned point values to each roll in order to limit the amount you could order at once, we took this as a challenge. we paired off into teams, and i was lucky enough to be placed with my friend annelise, a former lacrosse goalie who took the competition extremely seriously, shouting that i wasn't holding up my end and calling me karen carpenter every time i slowed down. to be fair, her determination did bring us to victory, with her eating about 13 rolls and me 8. but it was an oh-so-shallow victory, as i have never felt so close to vomiting merely from the quantity of food i consumed alone. i was not able to eat sushi, previously one of my favorite foods and a tormenting addiction, for about four months. so if anyone would like to take the challenge of a hot dog or pizza eating competition, i'm ready (this means you, Kobayashi)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home