Wednesday, August 02, 2006

today, as i stepped into an office-sponsored taxi to cross town to drop off a check (ah, the life of an intern), my cab driver told me that he liked my sunglasses, but that i was prettier than my sunglasses, and the best part was my teeth. First of all, i was very happy to have my teeth complemented, because i think that they are one of my least-noticed but best facets. Ask me to smile next time you see me. And I never had braces. Anyway, off of that little bout of narcisisma, this got me thinking about the relationship between salespeople and customers. As a part-time salesperson, i have often wondered at other people who complain of constantly being hit on at their jobs. shouldn't a salesperson be almost a non-person, someone who is only there to help you with your purchasing? even more than that, i've wondered about salespeople who hit on customers. for instance, at the restaurant Blue Ribbon in park slope, my friends and i are constantly barraged by the attentions of the waiters. although my friend who busboys there claims that it is simply the style of the restaurant to "make people feel at home," i think there is definitely a line between feeling at home and feeling like you're in a sketchy club. as a salesperson, especially a salesperson who relies on tips, the person is definitely taking a risk. they are putting their desire for sex over their desire for money, which i guess is reasonable as long as you're aware that you're doing it. and actually, the customer is always a variable, as there are numerous ways that they can respond. they can a) find the salesperson attractive, and score a date. tip will be bigger in this situation. b) feel uncomfortable, but ignore the person. tip may not be affected in this situation. c) be very offended, and let the salesperson know it. possibly also let their overseer know it. tip will be small to non-existent in this case. d) my case. feel bad that this person has put themselves out there and i am not interested. tip will be unnecessarily big in this case. So there you have it. As i look over these scenarios, i see that there are two cases in which the tip will rise from such behavior, one where it will be unaffected, and one where it will suffer. not actually such bad odds. hmmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home