Monday, May 03, 2010

Okay, so I just read over my last post, and i realized it was kind of a downer. Not a great way to start off a three-month trip. The two days since I wrote that entry have been a lot better. Yesterday I went over to an island called Peng Chau that is about a half an hour ferry from Hong Kong island, which was a nice trip in itself. The island was cute, it took about an hour to walk its circumference, and offered some pretty amazing views. The island reminded me a lot of southeast asia, as it had the same kind of vegetation including wild bananas, but also had a distinctly chinese feel. It was really relaxed, and couldn't have been more different from the urbanity of Hong Kong. On our return, we decided to check out a light show on the hong kong harbor (i spent the day with a girl i met in my hostel, who incidentally is on an 8-month travel fellowship, goddammit). On the way we noticed that there was a free concert being given by the Hong Kong symphony in the harbor, so we decided to watch that instead. It was pretty awesome, the orchestra was entirely composed of traditional chinese instruments, particularly a lot of erhus. We could also see the light show in the background, and it turned out it was kind of crap, so we were glad we didn't travel across the bay to kowloon just to see that.
Today I took the lonely planet's walking tour of a neighborhood all the way to the west, it was a really interesting look at hong kong's historic neighborhood. i could really envision the british colonial experience, and it made the history i've been studying come alive. Also i was browsing at an antique shop and dropped a bottle of something on my foot, which broke the bottle and also made my foot bleed. I decided, rather than telling the guy i broke the bottle i would just buy something else at the price he asked for it, so neither of us would get totally screwed over. So I got a little shot-sized coca cola glass from the 1960! it's really cool, and i payed 12 bucks for it, so i think everyone wins. also, a very nice woman in a coffee shop helped me clean my foot up, and put antibacterial on it and everything.
A lot more wandering ensued, though i can't really think of anything interesting enough to report about. Hong Kong is growing on me though, so maybe (hopefully) in the end i won't regret spending the time here. Over and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home